.

.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Romione/Harmony Debate and my Opinions

So, everyone in the Potter fandom is talking about this right now: J. K. Rowling apparently announced in an interview with Emma Watson that she may have regretted pairing Ron and Hermione together and that Hermione and Harry might have been a better pair. Some people are super upset about this and some people are super happy. My opinion? It doesn't matter in the slightest. First of all, the full interview hasn't come out yet, so we don't really know what she really said. I think it comes out tomorrow or the next day but I'm not sure. Here's what everyone is making all the fuss about:

Article #1
Article #2

And here is a random article I found stating that J. K. Rowling is wrong:

Article #3

Stop freaking out people! Just because J. K. Rowling said that she may have regretted putting Hermione and Ron together doesn't mean that the pairing is no longer canon. J. K. Rowling can't change what's in the books. And even if she could, she wouldn't, because much of the story depends on the Romione romance.
Look, I'm sure tons of writers regret some things the wrote in their books. No book is perfect. J. K. Rowling might be right, Ron and Hermione might not have worked out quite so well in real life as it did in the books, but that doesn't matter. It's a book. It's fiction.
Anyway, I have never thought the Romione pairing was perfect. While I ship them as boyfriend/girlfriend, I can't see them getting married and staying together. It would be a difficult relationship. However, Harry and Hermione wouldn't work for the opposite reason. Though I bet their relationship would go quite smoothly (they never really argue), they didn't fall in love. Harry never showed any sign at all in the books of liking Hermione as anything more than a friend, and it seems clear to me that Hermione felt the same way. So Harmony wouldn't have worked with the story. I totally understand people who ship Harmony, but I don't think it would fit the story at all.
But, anyway, none of that matters. What Jo says changes nothing.
Also, don't get mad at J. K. Rowling for stating her opinion. She's not doing this just to "stir up the fandom". Gosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment