.

.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Connecting Myers Briggs and the Hogwarts Houses Part Two

I've done a post on the connections between MBTI and the Hogwarts Houses before. I used the functions in that post instead of the temperaments. This time, instead of using those confusing functions, I'm going to make it very simple.

Introversion/Extroversion: Ravenclaws and Slytherins are more likely to be introverted and Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors are more likely to be Extroverted.
Intuition/Sensing: Ravenclaws and Gryffindors are more likely to use intuition while Slytherins and Hufflepuffs are more likely to use Sensing.
Thinking/Feeling: Ravenclaws and Slytherins are more likely to be Thinkers. Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors are more likely to be Feelers.
Judging/Perceiving: Ravenclaws and Slytherins are more likely to Judge and Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs are more likely to Perceive.

I've made a kind of scoring system. For each part of the personality type, I have listed the number of points for each house. The points represent how accurately the type fits that house.
Introversion: R: 2 S:1 G: 0 H: 0
Extroversion: R: 0 S:0 G: 1 H: 2
Intuition: R: 1 S:0 G: 2 H: 0
Sensing: R: 0 S:2 G: 0 H: 1
Thinking: R: 1 S:2 G: 0 H: 0
Feeling: R: 0 S:0 G: 1 H:2
Judging: R: 2 S:1 G: 0 H: 0
Perceiving:  R: 0 S:0 G: 2 H:1

If you take a certain personality type (I'll use INTJ as an example since it's mine) you can add up the number of points for each house:
Ravenclaw gets 6 points, Slytherin gets four points, Gryffindor gets two points and Hufflepuff gets zero.
This is actually a very accurate representation of INTJ, in my opinion. We are most like Ravenclaw, then Slytherin, a little like Gryffindor and not at all like Hufflepuff.

What about the other MBTI types? Lets try ENFP:
Ravenclaw gets one point, Slytherin gets zero points, Gryffindor gets six points and Hufflepuff gets five points.
This is also pretty accurate. Gryffindor and Hufflepuff both fit ENFP very well and I can't imagine and ENFP Slytherin.

I'll try one more. ISTP, my brother's type.
Ravenclaw gets three points, Slytherin gets five points, Gryffindor gets two points and Hufflepuff gets two points.
My brother is a Gryffindor on Pottermore (and I think that fits him) so I'm not entirely sure if I agree with my own guess as to what house he would most likely be in. My brother is probably not a Sytherin. So my new system isn't perfect. Then again, no system ever is.

A way to make it more accurate might be to increase the number of possible points given for each house. In the following table, a scale of 1-5 has been used to show how accurately each type represents each house:
Introversion: R: 3 S:3 G: 0 H: 0
Extroversion: R: 0 S:0 G: 2 H:4
Intuition: R: 3 S:0 G: 3 H: 0
Sensing: R: 0 S:3 G: 0 H:2
Thinking: R: 4 S:5 G: 0 H: 0
Feeling: R: 0 S:0 G: 3 H:5
Judging: R: 3 S:2 G: 0 H: 0
Perceiving:  R: 0 S:0 G: 5 H:2

For each personality type below I have listed the number of points it earns for each house. The highest possible amount of points is thirteen.
ENFP: R: 3 S: 0 G: 13 H: 11
INFP: R: 6 S: 3 G: 11 H: 7
ENFJ: R: 6 S: 2 G: 8 H:9
INFJ: R: 9 S: 5 G: 6 H:5
ENTP: R: 7 S: 5 G: 10 H: 6
INTP: R: 10 S: 8 G: 8 H: 2
ENTJ: R: 10 S: 7 G: 5 H: 4
INTJ: R: 13 S: 10 G: 3 H: 0
ESFP: R: 0 S: 3 G: 10 H: 13
ISFP: R: 3 S: 6 G: 8 H: 9
ESTP: R: 4 S: 8 G: 7 H: 8
ISTP: R: 7 S: 11 G: 5 H: 4
ESFJ: R: 3 S: 5 G: 6 H: 11
ISFJ: R: 6 S: 8 G: 3 H: 7
ESTJ: R: 7 S: 10 G: 2 H: 6
ISTJ: R: 10 S: 13 G: 0 H: 2

2 comments:

  1. Very accurate! I've been formally assigned ENFP and I'm a definite Gryffinpuff. The first time I was sorted on Pottermore, I was put into Hufflepuff. The last two times (on new Pottermore) I was sorted into Gryffindor. So I've just given up and accepted my Gryffinpuff-ness. Everyone that knows me is convinced I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. urm
    I'm an ENFP slytherclaw....
    I was put into slytherin and ravenclaw on pottermore

    ReplyDelete